Going drag racing for the first time! HELP!

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
SiB

Going drag racing for the first time! HELP!

Post by SiB »

Hey all, I am hittin the 1/4mile for the first time ever. Runnin the '91 FZR 1000. It's pretty much all stock, but just want to have some fun. Goin head to head with a buddie on his 97 YZF750. I am going to strap the front end in hope that it won't wheelie as bad. So I have a few questions.....

1. What should I try for tire pressure?

2. Launch RPM?

3. Can I run with open exhaust considering I have the exup valve? I have a little elbow that I have run a few times, yes it's unbearably loud but just want to make some noise (legally). Click this link for a pic....

What else should I know? I am open to ANY advice!!!!

Thanks in advance for help!
Last edited by SiB on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Put the can back on it before you hurt the motor.
18psi in the rear.
6k rpm
no need to strap it. it's all about clutch control. Check the plates and basket regularly. They are fragile.
That ought to get you into the 1.6's in the short numbers.
No need to get all excited about burnouts. Just roll it to the lights and let er rip.
I shift it @ 12k into 2nd with the clutch. If I don't use the clutch, it'll lift the tire and kill the drive. Load the shifter and let it shift itself into 3rd and 4th. Wait for the big end light and shut it off. Watch for the bounce from the soft tire if yur ham fisted....

That ought to be enough to keep ya entertained for a bit. :poke
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

SiB

Post by SiB »

Sounds good, thanks for the suggestions.