87/88 FZR Dragracing

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
347 Tony
Regular Poster

87/88 FZR Dragracing

Post by 347 Tony »

Does anybody know of a safe strappping system for my fzr? can you buy one or do i fab something up? tks
08 zx10r/ 85 V-MAX. best e.t 9.36@148MPH on 08 ZX10 Stretched and 9.76@146 SWB.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Simpson makes a set that is NHRA legal. They are fairly cheap too. But the good thing is that they will get through tech...
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

347 Tony
Regular Poster

87/88 FZR Dragracing

Post by 347 Tony »

tks, i couldn't see them on their site, but i sent them an e-mail to see if they are still available. :?

347 Tony
Regular Poster

87/88 FZR Dragracing

Post by 347 Tony »

hey dragracer 1951 any chance you might have a part #, i've e-mailed simpson, motorcycle division and the sent back that they don't know what i'm talking about. tks

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Oh dear, I missed this post.
I can call aroude to a couple of folks that would know the number. I'll get back to you...
Jim

Hey Kid...

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

347 Tony
Regular Poster

drag racing strap

Post by 347 Tony »

well it's ok i used one my buddy bought for his busa, and it worked over the frame and bolted to the lower caliper bolts, now my new question to you is, my bike has ran a 10.67, with soft rear shock and the triples dropped, so instead i tryed hard rear shock, triples back up in stock location(but forks strapped) first pass sun 10.67, matching the other way i was running it, so i dial a 55, the next pass i stand it straight up, and again the third pass, ANY SUGGESTIONS? he he he ps 10.74@ 128 on a flat front tire, the best we can figure it popped the valve stem when it landed off the launch wheelie. oh and straight up is much higher than my avatar.

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Re: drag racing strap

Post by FZRDude »

347 Tony wrote:...ps 10.74@ 128 on a flat front tire, the best we can figure it popped the valve stem when it landed off the launch wheelie. oh and straight up is much higher than my avatar.
I bet that was a a "high pucker factor" pass
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

What do you mean "Soft" and "Hard" shock? Did the ride height stay the same?
If you are lifting the wheel (snerk) tell me the details of the setup...
You said you were moving the forks in the triples...
How much?
Where were you strapping at? How much compression of the forks???
Details.....
Jim

Hey Kid...

347 Tony
Regular Poster

drag racing strap

Post by 347 Tony »

Well soft is with the two nuts on the bottom of the shock half way up the threads, (thats the only adjustment) and hard is with them to the top of the threads which stiffens the spring (makes it harder.) doesn't compress as easily. i don't think ride height varys. soooooo with the first setup, the rear was soft and the forktubes were 2and a half inchs approx. up through the top triple clamp. so since that only allowed me a 10.67, i thought i would stiffen up the rear, put the forks back to there stock location BUT strap it instead, so that way i'd eliminate the sping action of the forks, so first pass sun (with a little spin) netted a 10.67@128.93 but once the pad got hot the damm thing wanted to flip itself over, i should have tryed more air, but i didn't, but i was wondering if maybe i should have softened the rear instead of making it stiffer (front sping rate is stock, didn't think that would matter with it strapped.) oh and i also turn the preload screws on the tops of the forks all the way out.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

Tony
You're changing WAY to many things at once. WAY too many...
You need to use one setup and get as fast as you can with that setup before changing anything.
I would leave the suspension alone an dlearn to launch it. My 95 will run a 9.84 with teh suspension set up as I ride it on the street but I run between 14 and 18psi in the tire. Pick a launch RPM and stick to it till the 60' numbers get as good aas they are going to get without raising the launch rpm. This will teach you throttle and clutch management. Those are the skills that will get you there. Start at a low rpm at first because that will give you time to concentrate on the clutch and gas. The clutch should be 100% engaged and the throttle on the pin by 25 or 30 ft
Get good at that and I guarantee you will be faster and even better...more consistant
Jim

Hey Kid...

347 Tony
Regular Poster

drag racing strap

Post by 347 Tony »

we need to keep in mind i'm running a stock 88 with 77000 kms on the chassis and 50000 on the motor only thing she has is a Barrnet clutch and a k and n replacement filter in the stock airbox so i guess i'm looking to tune suspension and your right i changed it all at once (Sun morning) not the right approach. i the clutch, doesn't help either, not being able to drag it that slows me down a little(too much throttle, not enough throttle) i think next race i
m gonna soften the rear and strap the front again tks again!