NEW RACER

Track days, professional racing, amateur racing, or racing in general. Post it here!
fastrsho
New Poster

NEW RACER

Post by fastrsho »

I live a few min away from jennings track and im now ready to start a full amature career.Im not real knowledgable about the gear what do i need to start off with?What mods are best for the yzf750 and where can i get the gear at?An help would be appreciated.I thought about taking the classes that they offer.Are the worthmy money and time or should i just get out there and wing it with some gained experiance?
ITS NOT BROKE...TIL YOU CANT FIX IT NO MORE

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

If you have the time and $ do the race school that is offered and every trackday afterwards.

Gear?
Full leathers = either a 360° zippered 2 peice or a 1 peice.
Textile = same as above (if the track allows).
Boots = Yes. I prefer Alpinstar SMX
Gloves = Full gauntlet

The only skin they want to be able to see is what is behind the visor.

Better than half new tires and brakes. No coolant in the rad. No mirros or blikers, taped up head and tail lights.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

stan
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by stan »

DEFENITY do the ride school

i wobbled around the track for two years before i did my race craft school.

It instantly took 5 sec a lap off my time and put me in the riders position, rather than being a passenger on my bike. Will provide you with good knowledge on what tyre pressures to run, body position, and how to approach and break down a corner into entry, mid, and exit

The above list forgot to mention a back protector, a must have, and is probly compolsary.

If this is your road bike, maybe some fiberglass fairings, so you don't right off your nice OEM items. Simple mods are braided brake lines, and ask your local shop about some quality brake pads, suitable for track use.

All the best, and ride it like you stole it

stan
Motorcycling, it's a participation sport!!

fastrsho
New Poster

Post by fastrsho »

awesome!!lots of good info!Looking into it all tomorrow!thanx alot!
ITS NOT BROKE...TIL YOU CANT FIX IT NO MORE

pacer
Veteran Poster

Post by pacer »

Buy and read "A Twist of the Wrist" one and two, then see when Kieth Code is doing a clinic at your track. At least that is my plan. Buy one piece leathers. Nicer to slide in, and some trackdays I have been to frown on 2 piece.
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.
97 YZF750

djalbin
Smilies Run Amok

Post by djalbin »

There are several good books on riding technique, bike setup, etc ...
Most of these books tend to specialize on one topic. A good primer book to get started with is the Motorcycle Track Day Handbook. http://www.motorbooks.com
This book covers all the basic topics for track days and getting started in racing.
Don
1994 FZR1000
Tucson, AZ

fe911
Veteran Poster

tracking

Post by fe911 »

+1 on a twist of the wrist. Really good book about the philosophy of going fast. A lot of different racers don't agree with some of the points in it, but they all agree that it puts you in the correct state of mind.
Gear: There is no substitute for the good stuff. I go a little cheap on the helmets. Because I'm really rough on them, and can't afford a new 700 dollar lid twice a year(I ride on the street a lot). But the rest of my gear is dainese and sidi. A really good two piece will never get questioned in tech, only the cheaper ones. But they are heavier, and not as well perforated(ultimate importance on the hot days, which seems to be everyday that I've gone). But keep a back-up(for everything) for when the weather turns bad. Last track day I did, I was snowed on!
Figure out what type of racing you want to do, and what class the 750 will qualify to enter. And see if it's worth your time. Remember, you want to race. Not be in the back until the fast guys lap you. I am tempted by the wera vintage class that seems to be set-up for the 750r to be competitive, I think it's v7.
Now, the tough part. The bike. Needs to pass tech. Safety wire just about everything. Properly set-up suspension, not cheap! And all those race bits are both expensive and very, very hard to find.
Take a class, or two. My first class, Star racing school, was great. But I barely remembered anything. It is pretty intense. I realised how important conditioning is. Hydration and stamina are so important! I end up working so hard to get the bike there and ready, that I don't have much left to go fast and concentrate. Last time, I was ready, focused and ready to go. Too bad it snowed!
94 YZF750r
'98 yzf750r
95 YZF750SP

YZFRob
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by YZFRob »

Are you just doing track days or are you gonna jump right in to the shark pool and race?

If its track days, Just tape up the lights, pull teh mirrors, get a 1 or 2pc leather suit (2pc MUST zip all the way around), back protector (Bohns are great) and sign up.

For racing, NEVER USE YOUR STREET BIKE. Theres a real good chance to bin it up bad racing then you wont have a street bike to ride. Same the other way around. Seen this done before. One guy didnt have a trailer so his friend drove his little civic to the track behind the racer that rode his racebike to the track and switched the body over at teh track. Proceeded to cartwheel teh bike in practice bending the forks, rear wheel and breaking off the subframe. Luckily someone was nice enough to drive out of their way to take his bike home for him.

Plus starting off racing with a heavyweight class bike isnt the best idea. Look for a race prepped SV650 is idea. Lots of people with them at teh track. Or if you dont mind working on bikes a bit more, 125GP bikes can be had for $3000. If you go that route, get the Honda RS125. More of them at teh tracks and a bit easier to work on.
YZFRob

347 Tony
Regular Poster

87 FZR

Post by 347 Tony »

:oops:
08 zx10r/ 85 V-MAX. best e.t 9.36@148MPH on 08 ZX10 Stretched and 9.76@146 SWB.

WickedFZR1K
Veteran Poster

Post by WickedFZR1K »

If you need a suit or leathers, cheack out www.newenough.com

Their return policy is awesome, if it dont fit, exchange no questions asked. I have bought from them before (and returned) and they also have some great deals on closeouts (you can even return closeouts if they dont fit!!!)
If you want to live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn...