TEXAS RIDERS - Help Change Lane Splitting Laws

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!

Are you in favor of Lane Splitting?

YES - I would like to have the Option
43%
LANE SPLITING FTW
43%
NO
14%
Don't Care
No votes

Total votes: 7

ShogunTX
New Poster

TEXAS RIDERS - Help Change Lane Splitting Laws

Post by ShogunTX »

I came across an interesting posting over on Cycle Forums.com. Texas House representative Gary Elson is spear-heading an initiative to approve the option for motorcyclists to split lanes under certain traffic conditions.

The author has provided two prewritten letters for use in notifying your Texas House representative to support the initiative.

If you wish to support the Texas Riders in the grassroots support, click on the link below to learn more about the Pros and Cons and how to contact your representative.

~~~~--> Interested in trying to get lane-splitting legalized?<--~~~~

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

I lane split at backed up traffic lights. Theres one on my way home, "If" I wait through it, I might see 5-6 light changes before I make it through.

nope..... pardon me, scuse me, comin through, sorry, pardon, thanks.....
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

KontoBoy
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by KontoBoy »

I'm becoming a fan of lane splitting. Traffic ain't getting any better--DC area was just rated #1 nationwide for congestion. I'll do it at light when I'm turning right and everyone is stopped, when traffic crawls to a stop, or occasionally on the highway when when drivers decide to go 55 side by side for miles and won't let anyone pass.

I'm tired of getting honked at when I squeak by resentful gridlocked cagers.

boz
Veteran Poster

Post by boz »

It's not illegal here in Melbourne! (I won't say it's legal either - more of a grey area). Police tend to let you go ahead and do it in what they perceive as safe situations (e.g. at a set of red lights), but don't like you doing it in moving traffic (e.g. when a 100 km/hr freeway is moving at 30 km/hr and you are splitting they may book you for dangerous or reckless driving if you are caught - they even have a unmarked police bike up to the task for this).

It would be nice to have much clearer laws on what is / isn't acceptable splitting. There is a push to differentiate lane splitting vs. lane filtering (with filtering being done in non-moving traffic), but that is not likely to go anywhere as there doesn't seem to be enough lobby support for it.

Good luck to those in Texas in getting this done!

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I am an unashamed lane splitter
Have been for years.
I have ZERO tolerance for those folks that sit in the fast lane and will not let anyone pass.
I used to commute about 80 miles a day. Had 30 min to get 32 miles through seattle traffic to make a boat. I'll give ya about a second and a half to move aside. You see me comming...Then I'm just gonna go on by.
I'll do it quickly and carefully so as to not upset your delicate sensabilities. But I got a boat to catch...
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

Hear here!!!!
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad