What do you do in gridlock?

Got something you want to say but don't know where else to say it? This is the spot to post it!
ftang
Veteran Poster

Post by ftang »

This is getting beyond belief. It's legal to carry a gun but not to go past traffic on a bike? You think this is reasonable?

And you think 'uk biker folks are crazy'?
(1994 YZF750R)

MsHap
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by MsHap »

I think gridlock is like when you have an intersection and people are in it when there lamp turns red so they block the cars in the other direction from crossing.

I am actually just wondering if I am wrong and it means any traffic.

I lane split like mad in traffic. :)
My Name is Chrissy
This is Jello

"A total lack of self peservation is good for about another 30HP" Confusious

trailer rails
New Poster

Post by trailer rails »

MsHap,
I think you are right, that sounds like the correct definition. I hate it when people are stuck in traffic at a traffic light and they see the light is changing so they move up so they don't have to wait at the light but they end up blocking the entire intersection.
But when I was using the work gridlock I was kinda refering to pretty much any traffic though, but mostly backed up expressways where there are usally no quick exits.

MadHaqr9,
I am not complaining that my commutes are bad. They are pretty easy acually, but I just do alot of it. I just get stuck in traffic now and again and it is kinda annoying when I know I can just slip by.

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

This is getting beyond belief. It's legal to carry a gun but not to go past traffic on a bike? You think this is reasonable?

Naaa....I carry a gun AND go past traffic!
:poke
Jim

Hey Kid...
Is my tail light still working?

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

MsHap
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by MsHap »

+1

Carry a gun and go past traffic
My Name is Chrissy
This is Jello

"A total lack of self peservation is good for about another 30HP" Confusious

Hooligan
Site Admin

Post by Hooligan »

i just sit on the curb and shoot at traffic.

seriously, i like the idea the aussies have of "filtering" being legal and "splitting" being illegal.

although slightly similar concepts, i can see the danger involved with splitting between a few lanes of fast-moving, cell phone talking, breakfast eating, make-up applying, newspaper reading cagers. yikes.
Jason, aka: Hooligan
1994 YZF750-R
1996 YZF750-R
2003 Bonneville T100

boz
Veteran Poster

Post by boz »

we don't have the distinction made yet (at least not in the legalities of road use). Currently the national road laws (which are modified to each state) allow lane splitting through a loop hole (NSW have blocked this loop hole, Victoria hasn't). This includes high speed 'splitting' or low speed 'filtering'. However, there are amendments in progress to the road laws that would effectively block this loop hole for all states, and thus no lane splitting/filtering at all. Motorcycle lobby groups say this will increase traffic congestion, and are now trying to make filtering legal and splitting illegal. Even the government motorcycle advisory body have suggested congestion will increase if filtering is not allowed (though they stopped short of recommending it be allowed).

Our of curiosity - anyone ever ride a bike in an italian city? I was there recently and there seems to be no lanes - cars and bikes just travel being aware of each other and very few accidents. So scooters and bikes weren't lane splitting - rather cars etc. would make room for each other as necessary. It was organised anarchy in a way...

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

My father traveled to Italy on several occasions and commented on the very same thing.
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

I was in Italy 30 years ago and it was the same then....
They still have crappy cars too...
Jim

Hey Kid...

"...you can't tune a motor that's hurt. They run much faster on fuel then they do on aluminum." - Elmer Trett

Stig
Veteran Poster

Post by Stig »

dragracer1951 wrote:

Naaa....I carry a gun AND go past traffic!
:poke
Hey Jim do you go past traffic BECAUSE your carrying a gun....as in....everyone scared to stop you!!!! :poke
www.exup1000.co.uk
www.stigsdump.co.uk

the light is on and guests always welcome

FZRDude
Co-Admin

Post by FZRDude »

snerk
There are some who call me........Tim?
In Memory Of John "Silver" Douglas (Dec. 08, 2008) R.I.P. My Friend.

:wave: :popcorn :cursing :super-mad

orionburn
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by orionburn »

Hey Jim do you go past traffic BECAUSE your carrying a gun....as in....everyone scared to stop you!!!! :poke
No, they're scared because he threatens them with his bar tab :poke

i just sit on the curb and shoot at traffic.
:funny :funny :funny
Nate
1987 FZR1000 (Still with fairings!)
2003 Bandit 1200S (It didn't come with fairings!)
Image Image

Peppa2
Veteran Poster

Post by Peppa2 »

I have never seen a gridlock so what is it? :banana :poke . i seen it on american movies but that must be the closest i seen one. cant me mutch fun to get stuck in one i think, road rage comes to mind. :lol:
1990 FZR 1000..Image
COFFE FOR ALL THE LAZY ONES.
zzzzZzZZzzZzzzZzz

dragracer1951
Help!!! I need a LIFE!!!

Post by dragracer1951 »

No, they're scared because he threatens them with his bar tab

And the winner is...... ;)
Jim

Hey Kid...

CrayonJota
New Poster

Post by CrayonJota »

I am the King of gridlock. Its the almost constant state of traffic in this fine city. Simple solution, leave anything with clip-ons and rearsets at home, mount a thumper and whoop it up between the cars, on the shoulder, whatever you fancy. Its not big, not clever and sometimes results in tears, bent Renthal bits, levels and mirrors.

From what I can tell the stationary type of gridlock leaves you suseptable to taxi drivers opening doors to vomit or spit. Ouch. Slow moving gridlocks leaves you open for the cages to change lane without looking, double ouch

CJ
Yamaha XT350 Supermoto
Yamaha FZR 600
Kawasaki ZX-7
Suzuki GS1000E
Honda Civic Vtec (off road use only)